[New Castle?]: R. Porter, Printer, [c.1809]. Single sheet approximately 10" x 15 1/2", folded once, to 7 3/4" x 10". Printed on both sides. Fine, with mild age toning and a few tiny nicks around edges.
The New-Castle and French-Town Turnpike was chartered in Delaware in 1809 and in Maryland in 1810. It constructed and maintained a road between New Castle, Delaware and the Old Frenchtown Wharf on the Chesapeake Bay in Maryland. By 1828 the Maryland General Assembly had authorized the company to lay railroad tracks on the route and change its name to incorporate its conversion of the route to railroad transportation. The new railroad opened in 1831.
This sheet is printed on both sides so as to yield four certificates for shares of capital stock at $25 per share. The sheet was never cut apart nor the certificates filled in. Nice typographically ornamented borders.